How did creating your own origin myth help you better understand why cultures use stories to explain the origins of people, places, traditions, or natural events? In your response, describe the choices you made while developing your myth and explain the lesson, value, or human responsibility you wanted your story to communicate.
Prompt: It helped me understand that cultures used the stories to have an aspect of society and togetherness within. They wanted stories to unite themselves and create a shared identity, but to also explain the world around them. By also only making one version of my story, it helped me to understand how actual Native American Myths could've evolved over time, the hundreds of them per tribe. I chose to explain the importance of sharing and how greed pulls everyone down into darkness, allowing it to become a myth by saying that it caused the gods to create a solar eclipse to truly put the earth into the dark during the day.
Summary: I think today's class was interesting because it made sense to look at at more examples of actual Native American stories before making our own to understand it's simple structure and lesson.
Reflection: I could've started a bit earlier, but I enjoyed writing my own origin myth because it was short but still had a lot of freedom and room for creativity having such mythical aspects to it.
Comments
Post a Comment