In “The Rockpile,” the children know that the rockpile is dangerous and that they are supposed to stay away from it, but curiosity still draws them toward it. Think about a time when curiosity or temptation caused you to ignore a warning or rule. What happened, and what did you learn from the experience?

 One time that curiosity ended up in me breaking a rule was when I was a kid with my best friend at the time, and we went into his parents backyard. We started digging a hole because that’s what kids do for fun, to get dirt and just see how far down we could go and see what we could find. This resulted in us getting yelled at since it was fairly dangerous, people played in the yard and we never filled it, someone could have tripped - my friends sister. After, I learned my lesson of leaving things the way they were before, and not messing around on someone else’s property without their permission. 

Today we read the Rockpile, an interesting short story.

I like the family dynamics in the story, dealing with the plot and how the father was supposed to be a religious man. Instead, he abuses his family and treats them with authority. I’ve never read a story like this, with the New York theme in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analyze how you’ve adapted to the demands of this course over the past week, and evaluate one strength and one challenge you anticipate as we progress, justifying your insights with personal examples.

Write about a time that you felt connected to nature, like the kinship in Native American myths.

3 things I want to achieve this year - 2026.